A couple thoughts here, since I think Steve was talking about letting IBM
know of these issues. First a point Barbara made:

>We are in the process of moving the UNIX apps to Linux under VM, where
they
>can use the other type of processors and save us a lot of software costs
>(BMC is killing us, followed by CA.)

IBM made a strategic decision several years ago to enter into direct,
professional competition with BMC and CA.  I would advise any customer to
weigh their options now that there is heightened, healthy competition.
That's not particularly vendor specific, actually.  If you're an IBM
tools/utilities customer then I would advise you to periodically compare
with other vendors.  In other words, it works both ways.

One thing we've discovered is that terms and conditions often matter most,
including license restrictions, capacity upgrade charges (tier levels,
"MIPS on the floor" rules), etc.  We've tried very hard to introduce more
rationality into mainframe software pricing and terms.  (Which is
interesting, because the other platforms seem to be getting less rational
with each passing day. :-))

With respect to Patrick's comments, WebSphere Application Server/Java is
certainly not IDMS/ADO (for example) from a resource utilization point of
view.  A "modest" two-way CP-only 31-bit-only system is simply not going
to be delivering very high WebSphere volumes, I'm afraid.  Unless your
WebSphere Application Server workload is trivial, please do one of two
things: (1) get a zAAP (for WAS z/OS); (2) get an IFL (for WAS Linux).
It's frankly bad *finance* to run (much) WAS without either of these two
options.  Spend money to save a lot more money.

With either one of these two approaches mainframe WAS becomes not just
affordable but, in numerous situations, the *most* cost-effective J2EE
platform. My personal favorite is zAAP, but please choose at least one of
these two avenues.

Yes, WAS loves storage.  But we're now in the era when even z800s come
with minimum 8 GB, so the times they are a-changin'.  (IBM saw these "new
workloads" coming years ago and declared that everybody would have some
generous storage even in the base configuration. I think it was one of the
smarter things we've done.)  "Wasteful"?  Maybe.  But IBM just cut the
memory price (again, with the System z9), and we're now in the era when
programmers aren't counting bytes (or even kilobytes) like they used to.

Steve asks in reply about the IBM HTTP Server for z/OS -- is that
"lighter"?  Answer: absolutely.  It's mostly I/O work, and allegedly
mainframes handle that. :-)  I'm generally not concerned about workload
impact of HTTP serving, even on modest systems.  If you're looking to get
your "feet wet" with HTTP serving, a good match is WebSphere Host
On-Demand hosted on z/OS.  It's very quick and easy to set up, it's very
light workload, it's frankly the best place to host Host On-Demand, and I
guess you could say it's step zero on the road to WAS.  There are other
candidates for z/OS HTTP serving, but that's one of my favorites.

Do note that the first Web server in the world outside Switzerland was
installed on a Stanford mainframe -- a long time before any still extant
operating system got a Web server.  So HTTP serving on mainframes isn't
exactly new, and you'll have lots of company if (when, I hope) you decide
to join the club.

Lastly, I think there's an implication that workloads in USS cannot fit
into WLM service classing, goals, etc. in order to manage together with
batch and other classic workloads.  I hope nobody is saying that, because
it's certainly not true.  z/OS and WLM will manage all work, including
USS-based work, as you tell it.  If your system is too small to meet or
exceed all goals at peak, that'll still be true regardless of the *type*
of work you throw onto the system.  WebSphere z/OS is spectacularly
plugged into WLM -- it works really, really well, at least for the past
three versions that I'm more familiar with (5.0+).  But if I'm trying to
suck an elephant through a straw and want the elephant to more or less
retain its shape, well... :-)

Kudos on this effort, Steve. It sounds really interesting.

- - - - -
Timothy F. Sipples
Consulting Enterprise Software Architect, z9/zSeries
IBM Japan, Ltd.
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]