For an explanation of tape recall takeaway, click on the following link.

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/DGT2S630/2.3.
3.1.1?SHELF=EZ2ZO10E&DT=20040711204223&CASE=

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mark van der Eynden
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 11:20 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Anyone Using IBM 3592, Sun/STK 9940, or Sun/STK T10000
Cartridges for HSM ML2?

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:01:03 -0600, Friske, Michael
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Is anyone using IBM 3592, Sun/STK 9940, or Sun/STK T10000 cartridges
for
>HSM ML2?  If so, have you had any issues (slow recall times, recall
tape
>takeaway, recycle, audit, duplexing, or other)?

We've got 9940s behind a VSM...

Every now and then someone tries to call a recall from near the end of a
tape 'slow', but I think if you do the maths, you fill find there is a
heck of a lot of data being read to get to a file near the end of the
tape.

You do need to make the HSM MOUNTWAITTIME larger than the default, both
for this reason and the possibility that the first mount may be for a
duplexed pair that is offsite and needs to time out in order for the
available tape to be requested.

BTW what's 'recall tape takeaway'?

Mark