On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 10:03:23AM -0500, McKown, John wrote:
> > I have been asked to identify if it is possible to run an old,old
> > version of MVS/SP and DFP (3.2) on a zSeries processor (z890). (this is
> > not an April fool joke)
> Impossible. The zSeries does not implement the old I/O instructions (SIO
> et al.) that are used by MVS/SP. z/VM cannot be used because it does not
> implement emulation for these instructions either.

The version the original poster is asking about isn't old enough to use the
370 I/O instructions. MVS/SP 3.2 was the formal name for an early release of
MVS/ESA.

I don't know if he'll be successful in running that under z/VM in a machine
defined with MACHINE ESA, but that's probably the only way he'll be able to
do it on his z/890.

(Of course, if IBM had a sane licensing policy, he could run it on
Hercules...)
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC                    http://www.conmicro.cx
http://jmaynard.livejournal.com      http://www.tronguy.net