On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 10:59:32 -0400, B Sysprog wrote:

>I have been asked to identify if it is possible to run an old,old version
>of MVS/SP and DFP  (3.2) on a zSeries processor (z890). (this is not an
>April fool joke)
>
>Anybody have any positive comments on this?
>Is there a way to run MVS/SP under some supported version of VM on zSeries?
>
>I have found a few hits on old releases of MVS in the archives from 1995
>and 2000, but nothing specifically addressing this scenario.

"MVS/SP 3.2.2" didn't have HCD support so you will need to come up with
some other way of getting your I/O and your I/O gen to match.  You won't
have any FICON support and you won't have ESS support... but presumably you
have some crusty, rusty disks you can attach (via parallel channels
maybe)?

Because of that reason (and some others) I would not expect you would be
able to run MVS/SP native under a z890 box.  But...

You might be able to IPL MVS/SP under a second-level VM/ESA or VM/XA
system, which was itself under a more current z/VM system.  The first level
z/VM would give you the current hardware support that you'll need.  (MVS/SP
as a third-level guest might work for you, for some value of 'work'.)  You
won't be able to connect to any 3390 models larger than a mod 3 but your VM
(s) can emulate a lot of little disks, I suppose.

Your next trick will be to access the tape data that (presumably) you are
resurrecting this software for... good luck with that!

--
Tom Schmidt
Madison, WI