Denis, I am technician, not marketing, so I don't use right words etc,
but...
All these specialty engines are introduced to save you money. How much, it
depends. If it is good for your particular workload - it depends.
If you pay workload based charges and you start to use zAAP, you can see
savings at once as CP is used less then before. If you run zIIP eligible DB=
2
tasks, again you can see savings at once. These processors are not counted
to your MSU total, don't you save money then ?
Try to compare how much it cost on 9672 machines. Timothy mentioned here
several times, running on z990 is 10% cheaper then on z900, then another 10=
%
on z9.
Don't say new workload doesn't exist. There are S54 with most of IFLs or IF=
only machines sold.
I understand your point about z/OS cost. But again, it depends. A lot of
distributed cost is hidden, to buy several licenses for windows or to buy
several PCs can be approved my lower manager. If you want to upgrade
mainframe or run new software, it usualy goes to board of directors, so it
is visible, but not more expensive. Again, as Timothy already said - the
more you run on mainframe, the cheaper it is.
It is still perception from 90's how bad, slow and expensive are mainframes=
.
Most of people on this list know it is not true. We have to fight this.
There are a lot of IBMers who do. Try to ask your local IBMers for help,
there are sales people, client reps etc, involve them. You can say, they
should do it themselves and you are right, but sometimes they don't know
something is happening until it is too late.

Marian