Ed Gould wrote:
IBM is trying to say go to SHARE or else, IMO. This myopic (there is another term I could use) view is troubling IMO. I don't think SHARE is stupid enough to think they are monolithic enough so it can't be them. I really think its a little bit of both IBM and SHARE. Its like a ten foot tall gorilla saying do it my way or your way and I will squash you like a ant if you do it the other way.

Utter nonsense!

There used to be freebie IBM 1/2 day classes that gave you the vital information. They were generally free, IIRC. The full day class was (IIRC) a nominal fee $90 or $100 IIRC. People should start asking for the classes. It is much easier, IMO to ask for $100 than $1500 (or more) for SHARE and travel. The budget watchers are less likely to bitch.

When IBM charged $100 for a full-day technical course, "Tainted Love" was on the radio, cell phones were as big as a submarine sandwich, and Ronald Reagan was President of the United States! How long ago did you retire??

The exit evaluation/migration service being discussed here is not training. It is consulting services offered by IBM Global Services. Like anything else, if you don't have the expertise in-house to maintain/upgrade your systems, you can hire a consultant to do the job. To acquire in-house expertise, you need to train your people. SHARE can provide the more generalized elements of that training.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc