>Wouldn't it best serve IBM to make it much more attractive for
>smaller shops to get on board with, lets say, a z/890.
>The bottom line is COST.  Lower the entry cost of the hardware/
>software and then you would have something.

I think you're actually talking about price (e.g. entry price). Have you
priced a z890 Model 110 with z/OS.e? Or a z800 0E1 with z/OS.e? Or for
that matter a uni-IFL-only system? Have you priced even four Oracle
licenses?

Please do note that IBM has been donating mainframes to select
universities around the world as part of the Scholars z program. Price
should not be a barrier for college/university students.

A few months ago I recommended that IBM-MAINers recruit college interns to
work this summer at their companies (as IBM is), and I got pelted with raw
eggs (so to speak). I guess most of you missed Summer, 2006. Strange. Now
this general subject comes up again.

This problem isn't one IBM can solve by itself. It's also up to all of you
on this mailing list and your HR departments.

- - - - -
Timothy F. Sipples
Consulting Enterprise Software Architect, z9/zSeries
IBM Japan, Ltd.
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]