Hi Rashmi,

Following on from your recent post "I am planning to do it in an interactive
way via a panel. Something which looks like this:

Here the user will be able to select the jobs which he needs to schedule by
typing 'S' adjacent to the job. Here again, TSSE041 will be scheduled after the
successful execution of TSSE011 and so on......if the user has typed 'S'
adjacent to the 2 jobs. Also the output of TSSE011 is the input to TSSE041. "

and linking to one of my own it induces me to make the following observation.

The scheme you are proposing looks like it is intended for production use. If
this is the case it reminds me of a system one of my people produced 20 years
ago, using REXX and ISPF. No attempt was made to control job execution or
linkage between jobs the functionality was split between.

A User driven job selection vehicle (ISPF/REXX) which allowed both a choice of
jobs, and data entry for their relevant control information. The results being
stored as appropriate in libraries accessed via the REXX routines.

Once the selection had been made, the REXX routine used an interface to the Job
Scheduling package to indicate what the User schedule was.

There were benefits all round in this situation. Customer perception was
enhanced by the more reliable batch process delivered. Operations avoided
accusations about running the wrong jobs with the wrong parameters. The
auditors were happy because it met the requirement that all production work
should be controlled via the Job Scheduler (CA-7 as it happens). We were happy
because we didn't have to devise a synchronisation mechanism and hence were
able to deliver a working solution in short order.

In my view it would be worth establishing whether a Job Scheduling product is
in use. If such a product is available talk to its support staff to determine
how to interface you Panel/CLIST/REXX combination to it. The combination should
deliver the most robust solution.

Obviously if there is no Job Scheduling product then an alternative
synchronisation method is required, but even here an investment in such a
product may be more productive in the longer term.

Kind regards - Terry

Terry Sambrooks
Director
KMS-IT Limited
228 Abbeydale Road South
Dore
Sheffield
S17 3LA
UK

Tel: +44 (0)114 262 0933
WEB:
www.legac-e.co.uk
www.kmsitltd.co.uk

Reg: England & Wales 3767263 at the above address

All outgoing E-mails are scanned but it remains the recipients responsibility
to ensure that their system is protected from viruses, trojans, worms, and
spy-ware.