> http://www-306.ibm.com/software/info/zseries/
>
> Still worth a read.  "Dinosaur Myth".

It is just as misleading as any of the other similar pitches with a
selective view. If all of the systems were interchangeable then it would
make sense to compare their $$ costs.

Functionally however, we're comparing apples and fish. People do not
have an either/or choice in these things. End users are going to have
some kind of personal workstation no matter what. And that is going to
be wintel/lintel or maybe apple. PCs cost what ever they cost and that
cost is always in addition to whatever the business spends on servers,
networking etc.

Now when we start comparing servers we're at least comparing similar
species. The picture gets more complex because they are at least
nominally interchangeable at some level. But software costs are all over
the map and the estimates of the number of admin/sysprogs per user are
likewise all over the map. I would take the whole thing with a boulder
of salt.

CC