In a recent note, john gilmore said:

> Date:         Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:26:11 +0000
>
> The notion that the Binder is a new, arcane and/or dubious piece of
> technology is a curious one.  It can pretend to be the Linkage Editor,

With at least one exception.  With Linkage Editor, I was accustomed to
an orderly termination with RC=0 when it encountered an empty SYSLIN.
Binder produces RC=12.  I had to change a bit of code because of this.

I've never had much respect for IBM's handling of boundary conditions.
Apparently they're getting worse.

> Moreover, no effort to avoid putting load modules and/or program objects
> into either linkage-editor or binder inputs should ever be made.  Both

But note that if I code the entry point on the assembler END statement,
it gets reflected in SYSLIN, and is effective in the load module.
If I then re-link, the entry point is lost.  I believe the "INCLUDE -attr"
construct solves this imputed problem.  And I recall you  deprecated
"-attr" a while back in ASSEMBLER-LIST.  But how else can IEBCOPY
employ Binder to convert between load modules and program objects?

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL