In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 04/17/2006
   at 12:19 AM, "Joel C. Ewing" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>On the original S/360 introduced in 1964, I believe a System Timer,
>which also required periodic interrupt servicing, was used to track
>clock time and it had similar drift problems.

The interval timer caused interference with memory accesses, which was
more of a problem for I/O channels than for the CPU. It was an
autodecrement word in low storage, and caused an interrupt when it hit
zero. The largest possible interval was a matter of hours, so OS/360
used something called the 6-hour pseudo clock to deal with wraparound
issues.

>I believe the hardware TOD clock was introduced
>with the following IBM S/370 architecture, so it has been around for
>at  least 30 years.

Yes, unless it came in with the 360/85, but in many ways that was a
prototype of the S/370.