Because Unix (and Linux) allow the CMOS/RTC clock to be set to one time and then use a time zone offset to adjust the local time.

Windows does NOT allow this, the CMOS/RTC clock must be set to your local time.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
So, even though my UNIX machine's CMOS/RTC clock is set to UTC, then
how come all my applications on my desktop such as the LOG MESSAGES or
the SYSTEM MESSAGES are logging time according to my desktop clock
which is set to local time?

Even StarOffice or Excel spreadsheets opens up the program showing
local times...

Generally we set the TOD clock to UTC and then adjust the local time
offset for standard/daylight savings time.  This allows programs that do
logging (such as DBMS's) to use the TOD clock for their logs and thus
there are no prolems for roll backs or roll forwards if something
happens during a time change.  In fact some DBMS's running on the
mainframe are required to be down for 1 hour if you reset the TOD clock
backwards in the fall.