Phil Payne wrote:

Getting out of the zSeries analysis biz or just pushing it onto the back burner?

There are now no other vendors interested in what IBM is going to do next with
its mainframes.
I haven't had a serious study question from another vendor for a year or more.
As a
proportion of the total computing market, it's miniscule.

Maybe it's just you.

According to a presentation I attended last week by Terry Virnig (IBM), 4Q05 was IBM's highest mainframe quarter for revenue since 4Q98; capacity grew 28% year-over-year; and it was the highest MIPS quarter in history!

With respect to market momentum, she presented charts showing that, according to data obtained from IDC FY2005-Q3 Quarterly Server Tracker, IBM -- and zSeries in particular -- has significant upwards momentum in the >$250K server market as compared with nearly flat or declining market share from HP and Sun. It looks like IBM's overall market share in that space climbed from roughly 38% in 3Q98 to over 50% in 3Q05 with zSeries nearly doubling from a low of around 18% in 3Q00 to over 30% in 3Q05. Overall server market momentum looks strong as well, with IBM and Dell showing significant gains, HP staying about flat, and Sun continuing its precipitous slide.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc