On Apr 18, 2006, at 2:26 PM, Chris Mason wrote:

Edward,

This topic started because Johnny Luo asked about the contents of an object
module. My reply included a reference to the REP card and thus another
strand of the original thread spun off. (This covers Ray's question.)

In the thread I reminisced over a particularly tricky use of the REP card to
compensate for a PL/1 bug in CICS. I believe it was an, I expect,
unintentional 32K limit to a CICS PL/1 transaction program. I'm pretty sure this was a VS1 system since I'd outgrown DOS (VSE) by then and hadn't yet
made the complete step to MVS. It was 1973[1].

Since this indicates the use of the REP card was permitted in at least one of the "big brother" systems, I'd be inclined to expect it to be available to all. However, I checked the z/OS "Program Management" manuals and none
confess to knowing anything about the word "REP".

[1] The reason I recall the details is that I was getting a suite of
demonstration programs ready to show that Cyrillic 3270s actually worked. The Soviet ministry's machines lacked PF keys which were a key feature of the demonstration suite. Each program needed to be modified and one broke the 32K mark. Fixing up the programs was more high pressure than it might have been because I was having to do the work in Vienna[2] away from my usual technical base. In Vienna the changed programs worked. Did they work in Moscow? No. Fortunately very shortly afterwards, it was discovered that Cyrillic 3270s needed X'BF' as the poll character rather than X'7F' and the
suite worked as it should - so I was told.

[2] Something else I remember, as was a granite habit, I took two copies of the programs on tape. In this case, the first one didn't work. Maybe it was
a reflection of the tape technology of the time.

Chris Mason

Chris,

I too remember rep cards but honestly don't remember where that they were documented. That is why I asked the question. I *vaguely* remember them from 25+ years ago. I was just hoping that someone would know if they are still supported and if so where they were documented. I would have suspected (if they still are supported) that they would be documented in the binder manual (program management). They (as you say) don't seem to.

Just a point of curiosity thats all.

Ed