Edward,

This topic started because Johnny Luo asked about the contents of an object
module. My reply included a reference to the REP card and thus another
strand of the original thread spun off. (This covers Ray's question.)

In the thread I reminisced over a particularly tricky use of the REP card to
compensate for a PL/1 bug in CICS. I believe it was an, I expect,
unintentional 32K limit to a CICS PL/1 transaction program. I'm pretty sure
this was a VS1 system since I'd outgrown DOS (VSE) by then and hadn't yet
made the complete step to MVS. It was 1973[1].

Since this indicates the use of the REP card was permitted in at least one
of the "big brother" systems, I'd be inclined to expect it to be available
to all. However, I checked the z/OS "Program Management" manuals and none
confess to knowing anything about the word "REP".

[1] The reason I recall the details is that I was getting a suite of
demonstration programs ready to show that Cyrillic 3270s actually worked.
The Soviet ministry's machines lacked PF keys which were a key feature of
the demonstration suite. Each program needed to be modified and one broke
the 32K mark. Fixing up the programs was more high pressure than it might
have been because I was having to do the work in Vienna[2] away from my
usual technical base. In Vienna the changed programs worked.  Did they work
in Moscow? No. Fortunately very shortly afterwards, it was discovered that
Cyrillic 3270s needed X'BF' as the poll character rather than X'7F' and the
suite worked as it should - so I was told.

[2] Something else I remember, as was a granite habit, I took two copies of
the programs on tape. In this case, the first one didn't work. Maybe it was
a reflection of the tape technology of the time.

Chris Mason