On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:35:56 -0500, Ed Gould wrote:
>On Apr 19, 2006, at 10:19 PM, Tom Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> Ed,
>>
>> I suspect that the reason for the rejected support was the fear
>> that they would/could add an impediment to system growth (and an
>> impediment to a mainframe sale).  If they provided a function for single-
>> system users that would (or even if it was only feared to be a "could")
>> cause issues after the single-system was upgraded to a sysplex that
>> would NOT be viewed as a "good thing" (tm) by IBM or customer
>> management.  As a customer that is referred to as "a career limiting
>> move"... IBM has a similar term.
>>
>> (I am fairly certain this topic has been discussed to death here
>> several years ago.)
>
>Tom,
>
>You are correct of course *IF* that is the reason. My memory is iffy
>in this matter and only recall IBM once explaining why one of the
>items could not be done.
>
>My memory is vague from SHARE as I think IBM did not explain as to
>why the rejection. I know I came away from the session less than
>satisfied from IBMs' response.

Ed,

Chris' very recent post reminded me of the other issue(s).  There's a
fundamental difference between the started task use of static symbols and
the batch job use of static symbols: STCs bring their own initiators so
there is usually very little delay between the reference and use, whereas
the batch jobs could have between a few moments to several years between
reference and use.  (The longest that I remember seeing a batch job sitting
in an execution queue on a JES2 system was between 1 and 2 years; I got
bored and stopped looking after a long while.)  With a multi-year lag to
execution there are bound to be unforseen issues.

With the ability of resolving (FSVO 'resolving') symbols via SMF JCL exits
and other vendor mechanisms is there a real need for IBM to spend time on
this "problem"?

--
Tom Schmidt
Madison, WI