The DD: option can be useful for solving other problems as well. We had
case recently where an application occasionally failed in FTPing a
'normally named' data set. The message would be something like 'file not
available'. I looked at syslog for a few instances and found each time
that a full volume backup was just starting up around the time of the job
failure. We had them replace 'FTP dsn...' with 'FTP DD:file...' . Their
problem seems to have cleared.

The trouble with most dynamic allocation processes is that they are coded
for a one shot try: they either work immediately or they fail. JCL
allocation, on the other hand, is capable of waiting for a resource
(depending on the conflict). A batch job by nature is not usually troubled
by a modest wait--as long as the process supports waiting.

Walt Farrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
04/24/2006 05:41 AM
Please respond to
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>

IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: FTP PUT of a temporary dataset

On 4/24/2006 7:28 AM, Steve Flynn wrote:
> Can I PUT a temporary dataset using FTP... For example, I have a job
> where the last thing it should do is slap some results over to a GDG
> on another machine. I'd really like to be able to:
> ...snipped...
> PUT DD:REPFILE 'SOME.REMOTE.GDG.BASE(+1)'
>
> I can't find anything in TCP/IP manuals indicating I can do this, but
> I thought I'd ask the collective before I start cataloging transient
> datasets.

See
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/f1a1b950/4.2.4?SHELF=EZ2ZO10G&DT=20050708142126

or http://makeashorterlink.com/?F6DD2610D