[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Patrick O'Keefe) writes:
> Actually, I think it never held up.  As far as I know a node has
> always been hardware and a PU has always bee a program (as described
> in a FAP and probably originally desiged using FAPL).  The PU never
> had to match the node type (although each non-APPN node had a PU
> based on the node's capabilities).  For example, a PU_T1 never ran
> in a node T_1, as far as I know.  (I think a PU_T1 was by definition
> the PU code supporting a device too dumb to have executable code.)
> It always ran on something else - a T_4 (or maybe T_5, but I never
> heard of that implementation).

APPN and SNA were totally different stuff. SNA has been a communication
infrastructure ... that was driven by sscp/ncp (pu5/pu4, vtam/3705).
this was somewhat the communication continuation of the FS objectves
... after FS had been killed
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#futuresys

specific reference regarding major FS objectives:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000f.html#16 FS - IBM Future System

despite some of the comments in the above reference ... at the time, I
drew some comparisons between FS project and a cult film that had been
playing non-stop down in central sq. ... at that time I was with the
science center in tech sq., a few blocks from central sq.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech.

in the early SNA time-frame ... my wife and Bert Moldow produced
an alternative architecture that actually represented networking
(being forced to use the label peer-to-peer) ... referred to
as AWP 39. a few past posts mentioning AWP39.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004n.html#38 RS/6000 in Sysplex Environment
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004p.html#31 IBM 3705 and UC.5
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005p.html#8 EBCDIC to 6-bit and back
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005p.html#15 DUMP Datasets and SMS
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005p.html#17 DUMP Datasets and SMS
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005q.html#27 What ever happened to Tandem
and NonStop OS ?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005u.html#23 Channel Distances

my wife went on to serve a stint in POK in charge of loosely-coupled
architecture ... where she had numerous battles with the SNA
organization. she was also responsible for peer-coupled shared data
architecture ... which initially saw major uptake with ims hot-standby
... and later in parallel sysplex.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#shareddata

at the time APPN was attempting to be announced, one of the primary
persons behind APPN and I happened report to the same executive. The
SNA organization had non-concurred with the announcement of APPN and
the issue was being escalated. After six weeks or so, there was
finally approval for the announcement of APPN (out of corporate)
... but only after the announcement letter was carefully rewritten to
avoid implying any possible connection between APPN and SNA. The
original APPN architecture was "AWP164".

also, almost every organization that ever built a box to the "official"
(even detailed internal) SNA specifications found that it wouldn't
actually work with NCP ... it first had to be tweaked in various ways to
make it work.

supposedly the drive for FS ... as mentioned in the previous reference
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000f.html#16 FS - IBM Future System

had been the appearance of the clone controllers.

this is one of the things that I had been involved with as an
undergraduate in the 60s. I had tried to make the 2702
telecommunication controller do something that it couldn't quite
actually do. this somewhat prompted a project at the univ. to build
its own telecommunication controller; reverse engineer the channel
interface, build a channel interface card, and program a Interdata/3
minicomputer to emulate 2702 functions. Somebody wrote an article
blaiming four of us for starting the clone controller business
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#360pcm