I had a lurker on this list call me last week. I won't give his name or company, but they are planning to get off the z/OS platform by 2008. I know the Electric Company in Milwaukee is planning to be off the mainframe before the end of this year. I figure there is probably 10 to 12 mainframe shops left within driving distance of me. I know when I looked for a job 21 years ago, I must have interviewed with 10 or 15 differemt companies before I took the job at P&H. All the companies I interviewed with had job openings. Now, nothing in Milwaukee. Things have changed!

An interesting side note. In 1999, I accepted a job at Carson Prairie Scott, but my boss at P&H offered me enough money so I stayed at P&H. Carson's also had a mainframe in Jackson Mississippi. About a year or so after I would have started there, they closed the datacenter in Milwaukee. Now, another company bought them out, so even if they would have let me work in Milwaukee, that job is in danger again.

Eric Bielefeld
Sr. z/OS Systems Programmer
Milwaukee Wisconsin
414-475-7434