Agreed, and this *could* be the publicity that just blows up the whole
notion (more than a notion as far as I'm concerned) that the mainframe is
dying/dead and with the recent z9 BC announcement it may not come at a
better time. It would be nice to envision all those suits reading about
the mainframe in those airline mag's now wouldn't it? Google *mainframe
google* .

But, what better way for IBM to get publicity and make money than to host
their own mega-search facility backed by the mainframe. All of a sudden
*mainframe* sounds cool now, doesn't it?

Dave Salt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
05/04/2006 10:18 AM
Please respond to
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>

IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: IBM and Google / Six Apart / Yahoo / whomever

Tim,

That is a brilliant idea! Google running on a mainframe would be an
absolutely STUNNING victory for IBM. If the latest and greatest
web-searching technology is running on a mainframe, couldn't you just see
the look on the faces of all the people who think the mainframe is
yesterdays news? It would totally transform the market virtually
overnight!

I think there are 2 ways IBM could go. Plan 'A' would be to head over to
Google and propose the idea, and plan 'B' would be to compete directly
against Google. If Google sticks to the way they're doing things, and IBM
jumps in with a much better long-term platform yielding far better
results,
it wouldn't be long before IBM started pulling huge market share away from

Google!

Wait a minute; a light bulb just went on and I thought of plan 'C'. IBM
could head on over to MicroSoft and sell them a mainframe so MicroSoft
could
compete against Google!         :-)

IBM, are you listening? Someone book a conference room for 1pm this
afternoon to discuss the plan of attack!!

Dave Salt
SimpList(tm) - The easiest, most powerful way to surf a mainframe!
http://www.mackinney.com/products/SIM/simplist.htm