J R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  writes

 >  Why don't you have SYSPUNCH SYSOUT=(*,INTRDR)?

Because it's a good idea to check the assembly completion code to ensure that the generated JCL is good. That way you can avoid submitting partially and/or incorrectly built jobs to the internal reader.

The original suggestion that a two-step scheme be used seemed to me to share a salient characteristic with certain kinds of pornography: One looks at them and thinks to oneself, "I see that it can be done that way, but why?"

The assembler's 'completion code' can be checked WITHIN a single assembly step using the value of the HLASM system variable symbol &SYSM_HSEV, as in

|&abort    setb   (&SYSM_HBSEV ge &abort_severity_level)
|             aif      &abort).abort

in which &abort_severity_level, initialized in a SETA statement, has any desired value, for concreteness say 4.

John Gilmore
Ashland, MA 01721-1817
USA