Paul,

You are clearly rather new to this game - and you can be very, very thankful
for that. Some, perhaps many, perhaps most, who subscribe to this list/group
will remember the bad old days when if it needed "installing", it was
"installed" with the aid of the assembler macro language[1]. Very often,
when you wanted to "install" a product, you coded up one or, more likely,
many macros and submitted an assembler "compile". You then took the cards
out of the card punch stacker, took a couple of steps round the 2540 card
reader/punch and put the cards into the hopper. Then you went to the coffee
lounge, read the paper or had a chat and came back some time later to find
your product "installed" - with any luck.

Alternatively, you had to "generate" an NCP or a TCAM "network" where much
the same thing was done - although you probably had a good book to read in
the coffee lounge.

As a matter of interest, since I managed to avoid this particular task, when
was it no longer necessary to "generate" "OS", where "OS" refers to the
ancestors of z/OS?

[1] I did this twice in my time. Once was for a diagnostic package for
BTAM-based network programming where I managed to produce a sort in macro
language - for device addresses. Another time was for my "adaption layer"
product. Unfortunately the latter broke down a bit when one customer site
fooled it by having volume serial numbers actually starting with a number
and I was using the volume serial numbers as names - :-(

Chris Mason