I think it's actually non-VSAM, and it's because a lot of applications
using EXCP or lower would break.

Such programs normally issue an EOV to cause allocation of a new extent
for an output data set.  I suspect most apps would then expect to find
a new extent in the extent list (not more space allocated within the last
existing extent).  I think what IBM could do is to add an option to
either OPEN or EOV so the application could say "I can handle Extent
Consolidation."  Then it could be done without the risk of breaking a
program that currently works.

At 12:10 PM 5/10/2006, Ben Alford wrote:

>[...]
>
>Unfortunately, the manual says the Extent Consolidation isn't supported
>for non-SMS datasets.
>Bummer.
>
>Ben Alford                             Enterprise Systems Programming
>University of Tennessee
>[...]

Art Celestini       Celestini Development Services
Phone: 201-670-1674                    Wyckoff, NJ
Mail sent to the "From" address  used in this post
will be rejected by our server.   Please send off-
list email to:  ibmmain<at-sign>celestini<dot>com.