I just want to thank everyone for this discussion, especially Mark Thomen.
I have noticed some strange allocations with DB2 datasets, and now
understand what is happening.

It is a little unnerving to look at an IDCAMS LISTCAT and see mutliple
extents, with each one a different size.  Especially when the sizes do not
agree with what was stated when the dataset was defined.

When I read the information about the extent consolidation, I thought "I do
that with HSM and DFDSS now, by copying the dataset".  I had no idea that
this result is what Thomen and his gang had in mind.

Interesting concept.  Instead of creating additional VTOC entries, we now
modify the existing ones.  And the corresponding VVDS entries also just to
keep things in sync.

Apart from the programming concerns, this could easily apply to all datasets
on  DASD