Thanks for your help I'll see if I can find any more information on this
on Monday.  It was very obvious that this was the first time this had ever
gone multivolume.  The tapes are created SL tapes so my thinking was that
once the TMC was up and running on this system I could restore them as
SL.  The problem was the tmc was not restored from the backup tape but a
full volume backup.  I never tried the concatination method, but instead
we had it coded as vol=(,retain,,ser=111111,222222)  it sounds like the
concatination may have worked fine instead.  The job is created with Label=
(2,blp) on the first dataset then the next step might have label=
(5,blp) ...