On 5/16/2006 10:24 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I read somewhere that the motivation for support of mixed
case passwords in z/OS v1r7 is an external requirement that
the password space have cardinality at least 10^13.  Does
any reader of this list know the source of this requirement?
Sarbanes-Oxley (chapter and verse)?  Other (specify)?

As far as I remember, the mixed-case requirement comes solely from our customers and their desires to have RACF support mixed-case passwords as other systems do.

The z/OS R8 implementation of password phrases (aka pass phrases), however, derives from one of the NSA-generated Common Criteria Protection Profiles for operating systems, as well as customer requirements for longer passwords.

        Walt Farrell, CISSP
        z/OS Security Design, IBM