From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Jan MOEYERSONS
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2006 3:04 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Sending CONSOLE/SYSLOG To Off-Mainframe Server

>How do you route Console or Syslog messages to an off-mainframe server
>(Unix or Windows)?  Some of our techies here want to consolidate
>various logs from different platforms, and they don't want to do a
>dataset

I did this quite a few years ago by defining an extra console and, instead
of hooking up a 3278 mod2, used one of those nice little devices whose name
and make are faded from my memory and that had a BNC connector at the one
end and a 25-pin SUB-D connector at the other end. Seen from the 3472, they
looked like a regular 3272 mod2 and seen from the Unix box, they looked like
a regular modem. This way, the mainframe just sent WTO and the likes to a
regular console and the Unix box received them as if they had been typed in
at a remote terminal.

Now, I guess that today, one would not want to spent an amount that will pay
your wages over the next 4 months (their price was really the only draw-
back these little devices had...) when there are terminal emulation programs
available at next to nothing. I am sure that with a bit of clever scripting
one could use a terminal emulator API on the server that needs to receive
the log and connect it to the big box using TN3270. And use SSL if security
is an issue.

Cheers,

Jantje.

to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search the
archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html