Focusing on mainframe shops I've got to admit, very often there is no position even for auditor, so "auditor role" is maintained by ...security administrator.
I can't quote the Latin (I took French) but the famous Latin quote translates to something like "who shall guard those selfsame guardians", i.e., who is watching the security administrator? That's like asking a programmer to do a review of his/her own code. I am no fan of typical auditors, but a good, educated and intelligent auditor can be a great benefit to a company.

--
Bruce A. Black
Senior Software Developer for FDR