Whenever I hear vendor claims like "Since the product is LE compliant,
it cannot write into a dataset that has been generated by the IEFBR14
utility", I insist that they provide specific references to
documentation from IBM that describes that particular behavior.  Usually
they cannot, so I make them aware of the error of their ways.

Don Imbriale

Behalf
>Of David Speake
>Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 1:05 PM
>To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
>Subject: Write to BR14 allocated PSDS - Unitech ACR 3.3
>
>I have a request for assistance in finding all JCL steps that use
IEFBR14 to
>create (allocate might be a better word choice) data sets that are to
be
>!written! to by INFOGIX/Unitech ACR version 3.3. The group in my shop
>responsible for care and feeding of this product contend that the
vendor has
>told them that "Since the product is LE compliant, it cannot write into
>dataset that has been generated by the IEFBR14 utility". There WILL be
>testing (SMS and non-SMS) before this task is undertaken. I read the
thread
>on "EOF MARKS" Tue, 30 Mar 2004 12:51:40 -0600, and loved the SMSBR14
idea
>for that situation. But my question is: Cannot write?
>
>I know that READING a BR14 allocated data set has ALWAYS (prior to SMS)
been
>a fine recipe for disaster, but writing? And if this IS true, what does
LE