Bruce,
Here are the places where SMS writing an EOF is documented.

z/OS V1R7.0 DFSMS Using Data Sets

 When the system allocates a new SMS data set with DSORG=PS or no DSORG,
the access methods treat the data set as being null, that is, having no
data. A program can safely read the data set before data has been written
in it. This means the first GET or first CHECK for a READ causes the EODAD
routine to be called.

z/OS V1R7.0 DFSMS: Implementing System-Managed Storage

 For sequential data sets, SMS writes a hardware EOF at the beginning of
the data set at initial allocation. This prevents data integrity problems
when applications try to read the data before data is written in the data
set.

Doug