From: Frank Yaeger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Wherefrom E15 and E35 Exit routines for SORT
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 09:00:44 -0700

Binyamin Dissen wrote on 05/28/2006 08:02:03 AM:
> I guess that one could argue that the "standard" E15 reads the records to
be
> sorted from SORTIN, and the "standard" E35 writes the sorted records to
> SORTOUT.
>
> One would write an E15 if one is programmatically generating the records
to be
> sorted and does not want to go thru the overhead of creating an output
file
> and sending it to sort, and one would write an E35 if one is consuming
the
> records and does not want to go to the overhead of having sort produce a
file
> and reading it back.

You actually seem to be talking about two different E15s and E35s here,
although I don't think you meant to.
In your first paragraph, you talk about the E15 reading SORTIN, and in the
second paragraph you talk about the E15 generating all of the records
(equivalent to not having a SORTIN).  Those are two different types of E15s
with different logic.  Likewise, having an E35 write to SORTOUT, and having
an E35 consuming the records (no SORTOUT) are two different types of E35s
with different logic.

I wouldn't call either of those E15s or E35s (or anything else) a
"standard". Given that how you would generate and dispose of such records
in the no SORTIN/SORTOUT case, and how you would manipulate the records in
the SORTIN/SORTOUT case, would be quite different in different situations,
I don't see how/why you would apply the "standard" label in any of those
cases.

But maybe it's all just semantics.

Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Team  (IBM) - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Specialties: PARSE, JFY, SQZ, ICETOOL, IFTHEN, OVERLAY, Symbols,
 Migration
=> DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort/