On Thursday 15 June 2006 17:07, Thomas David Rivers wrote:

>  http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6886160.html
>
>  A method of distributing mainframe software and data using PC-based
>  data media is disclosed, comprising a mainframe program for
>  converting a mainframe sequential dataset or all or part of a
>  mainframe library of texts or load modules to a sequential dataset
>  of fixed length records ...

A number of similar solutions were quite common in the 1980s and the
1990s.  Below, I pasted part of the comments from the 1995 version of
the SYSMOVE utility program which is still distributed on the CBT tape.
I stopped using SYSMOVE in 1996 or 1997 when I learned about TRANSMIT
OUTDA() from Doug Nadel.

This is yet another example of how the U.S. Patent Office (USPTO) is
broken - this patent should never have been issued in the first place.
Software patents are a very bad idea anyway.

--

 Gilbert Saint-Flour
 GSF Software

Using SYSMOVE to distribute a PDS on PC diskettes.

    SYSMOVE provides a convenient way to distribute a PDS via
    PC diskette, using the following procedure:

      1. unload the PDS with SYSMOVE

      2. download the unloaded data set to a PC in EBCDIC
         using the "RECEIVE" command:

             RECEIVE pc_file_name unloaded_data_set_name

      3. pack the PC file with PKZIP (or equivalent)

      4. copy the packed file to a diskette

      5. send the diskette out; whoever you send it to
         does not need SYSMOVE to process it.

   On the receiving MVS system, re-create the PDS as follows:

      1. unpack the diskette file (if it's been packed)

      2. upload the unpacked file in EBCDIC using the "SEND" command:

             SEND pc_file_name unloaded_data_set_name
                  recfm(fb) lrecl(80) blksize(800)

      3. load the uploaded data set into a PDS using IEHMOVE:

         //RELOAD EXEC PGM=IEHMOVE,PARM='POWER=4',REGION=2M
         //SYSUT1 DD DISP=OLD,UNIT=SYSALLDA,VOL=SER=nonsms
         //DD1    DD DISP=SHR,DSN=IBMUSER.UNLOAD   INPUT VOLUME
         //DD2    DD DISP=OLD,UNIT=SYSALLDA,VOL=SER=nonsms
         //SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
            COPY      DSNAME=IBMUSER.UNLOAD,                    X
                      TO=3380=nonsms,                           X
                      RENAME=IBMUSER.MYPDS,                     X
                      CATLG