Howard Rifkind wrote:

Dave, you couldn't be more right, but this system is a hand me down and this is
the only system I have.

"Gibney, Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  It could be that the PDS filled, you
specified RETRY and SMP/E
compressed and retried.

As always, you're playing with fire if APPLYING to the live system
datasets.
<snip>

Howard, as Dave said, you are playing with fire. Sooner or later, if you continue to put service on a running system (other than service that the PTF's HOLDDATA or Level 2 have specifically said is OK to install on a running system), the system will fail. Not if; when. When this does happen, it might or might not be left in an IPLable condition.

Even worse, the system might appear to be working while merrily corrupting your data.

Just because you have gotten away with it so far (or think you have) does not mean you will continue to get away with it. I strongly urge you to read the section on making a clone of your system in z/OS Planning for Installation and take a look at the sample IEACLNxx jobs in SAMPLIB.

--
John Eells
z/OS Technical Marketing