Bruno,

Somehow I missed the start of this thread and I cannot track down the post
where the word "JCLs" was used. Thus I was responding only to the complaint
about the use of the word "JCLs".

I did find some earlier posts in the thread - and some not particularly good
limericks - through Google groups.

Further Google research found OEDILF
http://www.oedilf.com/db/Lim.php?Topic=111 which is somewhere these limerick
writers might care to deposit their compositions. Perhaps I should even post
my own record of an out-of-school prank - under the appropriate category, of
course.

One from OEDILF - actually the only one - I really appreciated was the
following:

<quote>

Using modems, you see bps:
Bytes per second is wrong to express.
Baud is wrong (yes, I checked);
Bits per second's correct.
The misuses cause pedants distress.

</quote>

But it's a bit (sic) technical and rather passé in these days of 56K dial-up
to worry about bps and "baud". (The "baud" *must* still be 2400 since the
old telephone line is used, so, assuming the correct speed is actually
56.25K, this makes 24 bits for each signal transition, "baud".)

Getting back to your post, in order not to drift too far away from the
purpose of this list/group I chose an unwise example - although it is my
experience that "logiciels" does appear to be used in French where
"software" would be used in English even if, strictly, it means "software
bits and pieces" - and I have plenty of experience having taught in an
international education centre - even in a francophone location.

Let us take a less controversial example in "renseignements" for
"information" which seemingly without exception comes out as "informations".
Well, I thought I'd better be sure. My Larousse doesn't insist on the plural
but the example of "information bureau" gives the game away: "bureau de
renseignements".

The "false friend" that used to drive me mad until I had got the hang of it
was "éventuel" which means "possible" not something that will definitely
happen sometime in the future - exasperating!

Chris Mason