A few comments on the thread so far:

It appears that many of the posts in this thread have avoided becoming
e-mails. I've just trawled through them all on Google Groups - except where
the history of UNIX and the mainframe operating systems is being mulled
over.

One that appeared from Bruce McKnight is actually a half-decent limerick -
and tells a story. Here's my version which a little better respects the
essential rhythm of the limerick - but it's still necessary to reverse the
usual accenting of "sysprog" - and "card trays" ...

Sysprogs now long for the days
Of blinking lights and card trays.
With tears in their eyes,
They wave fond good-byes
To feats that no longer amaze.

Based on contextual analysis and a dimly remembered phrase from my Christian
education I managed to understand Shmuel's first Hebrew word, the one with
the question mark.

Howard Brazee gave a reference to a site which, by tapping the space bar,
can identify the song. Amazing! This reminded me of my schooldays. While
waiting for the arrogant house-master to arrive to conduct evening prayers,
which included singing a hymn, having looked up a hymn at random in the hymn
book, a colleague and I used to pass the time tapping out hymn tunes for the
other to recognise. There were very few failures - so why shouldn't a
computer be able to do it? - probably a mainframe after all (desperate to
try to stay on-topic <g>).

Now to the latest:

Servus Gerhard,

So I've been teaching my grandmother to suck eggs to use a thoroughly
obscure English metaphor.

Shmuel, cryptic as ever, didn't actually mention "das Weib" but I expect
that was what he meant. I can imagine a thoroughly politically incorrect -
and offensive - way I can explain why this word should be in the neuter.
It's based on the attitudes I can imagine men might adopt to women of a
certain age around the time the German language was formalised - the time of
Luther I believe. At least it's "*die* Frau".

Entschuldigen that I misread your example of gender misassignment. My simple
German dictionary translates "das Backfisch" as "fish for frying" or
"flapper". Thus the origin of the first component of the word is "backen",
"to bake", or "Bäcker", "baker" (as it happens pronunciation is identical in
case some readers are unfamiliar with the effect of the umlaut on the letter
"a").

Now "flapper" - thanks to Google - can be explained as a young bird[1],
"chick", trying to leave the nest and flapping its wings ineffectually,
quite an effective metaphor I'd say.

Since you are a germanophone perhaps you can explain why an ingénue should
be basted by the expression "Der Backfisch" - only if it isn't too offensive
and/or politically incorrect!

Nevertheless, I believe my explanation of the gender assignment stands
despite the mistaken reading of the first component of the word.

Incidentally, perhaps one of the advantages of being taught a language, as
opposed to growing up with it, - perhaps the only advantage - is that books
or teachers point out some rules to help with issues such as gender
assignment which to a "native" just need to "sound right". Thus I'm pretty
sure that "-chen/-lein" isn't merely conjecture. Perhaps in English an
equivalent is instinctively knowing how to handle "night wahr?" or "n'est-ce
pas?"[2]. In Ulster there is a similar structure for an assertion of fact, a
phrase added to the end of a sentence beginning with "so".

Chris Mason

[1] "Bird" for "young woman" is British slang but probably of later origin
than "flapper".

[2] The English "innit?" is a cop-out unfairly associated with immigrants.