That's just IBM's Blue smoke.

I'm at z/OS 1.7 now and there isn't any mention of STP in the
documentation that I have.
What I want to know/understand is how to connect a z/900 and a z/890 in
a SYSPLEX with the z/890 running STP...Is there an advantage to
implement STP on the z/890 now or should I what for z/9 replacements
next spring?

If "PTFs will be required to enable STP support" then what PTFs.  I
don't get to do maintenance whenever I want.

I just clicked on the links in the announcement.

Preview - Server Time Protocol (STP)
IBM plans to make available a new time synchronization feature, STP,
which is  designed to provide the capability for multiple System z9 and
zSeries servers to  maintain time synchronization with each other. STP
is planned to be the follow-on to the Sysplex Timer(r) (9037-002). The
Sysplex Timer and STP  are designed to allow events occurring in
different System z9, zSeries, and  S/390 servers to be properly
sequenced in time.
STP is designed for servers that have been configured to be in a
Parallel Sysplex(r) or a sysplex (without a Coupling Facility) as well
as  servers that are not in a sysplex, but need to be time synchronized.
STP is  designed to allow timing information to be sent between servers
and CFs over  InterSystem
Channel-3 (ISC-3) links configured in peer mode, Integrated Cluster
Bus-3 (ICB-3) links, or Integrated Cluster Bus-4 (ICB-4) links.
STP is designed to:
    *   Allow clock synchronization for the z9-109, z990, and z890
servers
and CFs  without requiring the Sysplex Timer
    *   Support a multisite timing network of up to 100 km (62 miles)
over
fiber optic cabling, allowing a Parallel Sysplex to span these distances

    *   Potentially reduce the cross-site connectivity required for a
multisite  Parallel Sysplex
    *   Coexist with an ETR network
    *   Allow use of dial-out time services to set the time to an
international  time standard (such as Coordinated Universal Time [UTC])
as well as adjust to  UTC on a periodic basis
    *   Allow setting of local time parameters, such as time zone and
Daylight  Savings Time
    *   Allow automatic updates of Daylight Savings Time
STP is planned to be available as a feature on the z9-109, z990, and
z890, and to be supported by z/OS V1.7 (PTFs will be required to enable
STP support).