There is a tremendous disconnect from academia and the real
world.

Academia is not in touch with the real world?? Good Lord, how shocking! We can only pray that the "disconnect" is restricted to just the Computer Science department! (Yeah, right.)

Additionally, computer
science chairpersons say they don't want to teach a proprietary
architecture. I don't know what to say to that argument; maybe someone
here has a response.

WOW. That is such a non sequitur that it leaves one breathless. There may not BE a meaningful response to thinking like that. It's not that it contains no logic; it's almost like negative logic. What can you say? I guess academics are just plain too darn smart for the rest of us to comprehend. (Isn't Windows a "proprietary architecture"? Gee, they must not teach that either, then.)

Astonishing.  And scary.

- David