In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 06/28/2006
   at 07:31 AM, Paul Gilmartin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>In a recent note, McKown, John said:

>IBM has done its best to confuse us on this point.

No. IBM has done its best[1] to avoid compounding the damage caused by
the original Unix design decisions.

>>IBM for some reason chose NL.

The obvious reason is that NL is new line; that's what it has been
there for since the advent of the S/360. What is bizarre was the Unix
decision to use LF as an NL sequence instead of the traditional CRLF.

>Evidently IBM makes an exception for this case, and implements the
>effect of the OEMVS311 conversion table, which is, as you note,
>quite practical

An output of 153D is practical?

>IBM ought to relieve the confusion and permit technical correctness
>by defining YA code page, identical to IBM-1047 except for having LF
>at 0x15 and NL at 0x25.

What would that do to existing software, especially 3270 software that
must deal with SCS?

[1] On this particular issue. On other issues, ...