-- snip --

> (At least this discussion proves there are still a few of us
> still reading dumps. Too bad we all work for ISVs!)

Actually, that's "good".  As those of us in the "corporate world" tend
more and more to be "Sysadmins" rather than "Sysprogs", we are required
more and more to depend on our software vendors for problem diagnosis
and resolution.  We simply can't spare the time to become and remain
proficient at dump-diving, mainly because problems requiring dump-diving
at a particular installation are so few and far-between any more.
-- snip --

I strongly disagree with you.

We have to maintain our skill set (even if reading dumps is rare) for
numerous reasons.

Exactly this post (LSQA shortage) shows that a small amount of dump reading
is essential to solving common problems. This problem certainly didn't have
anything to do with OCO or IBM/ISV code.

We probably also don't need to code much assembler these days (Sysprogs),
but most of us are in the position where 'the buck stops here' for any and
all kinds of problems. Dump reading is clearly one of our needed skills.

Maintaining (better still increasing) our skills is also essential to
remain attractive in a difficult market place.

--> About now someone should put in a plug for Share and Jerry Ng.

John.