Ginnie, I think that you do not have to have the alternate tapes back in
order to do recycle processing.  HSM recycles the primary copies, then
calls TVEXT with the volsers of primary and alternate tapes.  RMM releases
those volumes. If any alternate tapes are offsite when released they will
be moved back automatically by RMM from the offsite location.
So,  if you recyle all those 5 days worth of volumes you get all5 days of
the alternate tapes back in one go.

Mike Wood   RMM Development