I used to use DISP=MOD solely for collecting SMF data - modding the daily tape on the end of the monthly SMF tapes. It was mostly reliable, but when it failed, which it did a few times over the years, you lost a good chunk of your SMF data for the month. I eventually changed to keeping a weeks worth of tapes, which I merged into a weekly tape. At the end of the month I merged them into a monthly, that we saved for about 14 months. I don't think that process ever failed.

I think the newer tape drives probably fail a lot less on DISP=MOD. I noticed that when we went from 3420 to 3480 tapes, and again when we converted to 3490s. I'm sure the 3590s are even better.

I don't think we even used our monthly SMF tapes for the last 3 or 4 years. When our datacenter closed in April, we scrapped all off the tapes. We couldn't process them without a lot of expense.

Eric Bielefeld
Sr. z/OS Systems Programmer
Milwaukee Wisconsin
414-475-7434

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Gilmartin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: avgrec/avgblk history ?
This is the first I have heard of unreliability of DISP=MOD.  Is that the
consensus of readers here?

-- gil
--
StorageTek