On 18 Jul 2006 11:32:54 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>On Jul 18, 2006, at 6:26 AM, Veilleux, Jon L wrote:
>
>> I always get blank looks when I ask what would happen if someone
>> actually tried to exploit 64bit addressing to the fullest. How do we
>> provide page space to back these requests?
>> As someone responsible for keeping our mainframes up and running, it
>> worries me that application type people have the ability to crash the
>> system just by a stupid mistake. One STORAGE loop in a 64bit address
>> space and the paging subsystem is toast. I know that there are other
>> exposures that application folks can use to crash the system, but, to
>> me, this looks like an accident waiting to happen.
>>

>> Jon L. Veilleux
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> (860) 636-2683
>>
>Joe,
>
>You have reason to worry, IMO. I know COBOL types that really need
>the 64bit arch. Right now they are storing the tables in VSAM
>datasets and accessing them them as tables should be. They wanted 64
>bits 10+years ago. They have gotten around the limitation of COBOL
>and wrote assembler subroutines to access the vsam datasets. They
>have updated the the subrountine for multiple VSAM datasets. Right
>now they ten extra DD statements for spill vsam files. One programmer
>used to call me up monthly to see if COBOL has finally kept up with
>the OS.  When I left the business 5+ years ago they were begging for
>relief. Of course until IBM comes through with support for a "large"
>number of page datasets, cobol can sit still doing essentially nothing.

COBOL as implemented by IBM is catching up with 31 bit in terms of
maximum data area sizes.  I believe that Microfocus will sell you a 64
bit capable COBOL for other platforms.  They may even sell you one for
z Linux.  With the 64 bit usage by DB2 and Java, not providing 64 bit
compile options for COBOL is telling what IBM really thinks of the
future of COBOL (and for various reasons I would agree that the need
for COBOL is dying).