I don't know anything about shadow volumes, but I bet that they need an indexed vtoc. The MVS 3.8 vtoc wouldn't support an indexed vtoc. Maybe that was the problem.

Eric Bielefeld
Sr. z/OS Systems Programmer
Milwaukee Wisconsin
414-475-7434

----- Original Message ----- From: "Edward Jaffe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Brian Westerman wrote:
... In this case, it turned out to be that we were trying to take a DASD volume that was built under a Hercules (MVS 3.8) system and after conversion and transmitting, load and use it on a Z/OS system. Normally that is not a problem, but (apparently) when you use Shadow volumes, you can't built the image the same way, (you end up with the problem that we ran into).

I wish you had just said that sooner! (Obviously, I know next to nothing about Hercules.) It might be worth consulting Jay Maynard about the issue you encountered. Emulation is *supposed* to be transparent! If there's an incompatibility, he'll probably want to know ...