Eric N. Bielefeld wrote:
I don't know anything about shadow volumes, but I bet that they need an indexed vtoc. The MVS 3.8 vtoc wouldn't support an indexed vtoc. Maybe that was the problem.

That's a bet you would lose. Any volume produced or usable under MVS 3.8 is fully functional under later systems, although adding an index data set may improve performance. Going the other way is a little more problematic, as MVS 3.8 won't handle some data sets (e.g., PDSE, ICF catalogs, VSAM), and may need to have the indexed VTOC converted back to get format 5 DSCBs.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT