From: "Howard Rifkind" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: 7/28/2006 9:38 AM
To: "IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU" <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
Subject: APF Authorized Code/Libraries.

I just installed a new program and one of the instructions states to run the
code in a particular library as APF authorized.

  I'm sort of confused about this.

  Is it o.k. to just add this library to the PROG00 member and then use some
sort of SETSYS command to refresh PROG00?

  A parameter feed to this program at start up is supposed to tell the program
to run APF authorized and I think it might have been linked edited with a
parameter of 0.  Does this force the need to be APF authorize?

  I started the program and it did come up but there isn't current work to feed
to it so I can't tell anything else.

  Thanks.

For testing APF programs, I would suggest using the operator
command "SETPROG APF,ADD,DSN=data_set_name,VOL=volume"
(assuming you are set up for dynamic APF libraries).

The APF indicator goes away on the next IPL.

When you are satisfied with the testing, then you can make
permanent changes to your parmlib.

When you say "parameter of 0" I think you are talking about
the binder parameter AC(0). If the program runs as a job-step
task, then it needs AC(1). If it is not a job-step task, then
it needs AC(0).

Authorized programs should be reentrant (I'd like to know the
reasons for a non-reentrant authorized programs -- eek!).

Jeffrey D. Smith
Farsight Systems Corporation
24 BURLINGTON DR
LONGMONT, CO 80501