R.S. wrote:
Since I noticed that vast majority (or even all) of Shmuel's mails contains only "no, you're wrong" or "USS is not unix" I stopped responding him. I put his e-mail in kill-file, so his mails are filtered. That's good: no more badgering. I don't loose anything valuable, cause usually Shmuel's mails does not contain any help, rather malice and badgering instead.

Soemtimes, when browsing archives through web interface (no filter on Shmuel) I read his mails - that convices me it was good decision to make a filter.

While Seymour/Shmuel doesn't need an apologist, I would like to comment on this. I first met him in the mid sixties, when my employer (Applied Data Research) bought out his (ComPass?). Since then we have worked together at several employers, and even when we didn't, met once or twice a week for dinner and discussion. If I had a dollar for every time he has been wrong about published information, I wouldn't be able to buy a cup of coffee. We sometimes disagreed on practical applications, where I tend to be more pragmatic at solving issues, but we both found rapidly that we were approached by coworkers for answers to their problems.

This rapidly led him to adopt the attitude that he would help with real problems, but we would not do people's work for them; this explains his "you are wrong" statements where you expect detailed information on what the error or misunderstanding is. While his approach may seem unreasonable, cold, and hurtful, it's better in the long run, as you're actually forced to go to the manuals to understand the problem, and possible solutions, and thus giving you better preparation when a similar problem occurs.

As to the USS issue, we both believe that acronyms should be unique, and that IBM should avoid duplication at all costs. To me RAMAC is still the tall, spindly arrangement of parallel horizontal platters with a juke box style arm that passed for an early IBM DASD device of the fifties, rather than the modern one. All the arguments have been presented repeatedly, and we see no reason to repeat them each time. If you haven't found anything useful in his responses, then you haven't read enough of them, yet.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT