Dear all,
A lot of responses was sent to my question what are the SN's needed for.
That's fine so many people wanted to response.
I learned something (or rather recollected) - indeed, we still have IEBUDTE utility, sometimes used in SMP/E. The numbers can also be used in ISPF editor. Maybe TSO EDIT also, but this is quite irrelevant IMHO. The discussion about SMP/E and IEBUDPTE is pointless - yes, it could be done in another manner (other platforms does not use SN's and still live) - no, there is no alternative in SMP/E. In my opinion, the numbers are rarely used in editor. This is my observation, not accurate statistics. People use blocks, even labels, but not the numbers itself.

OK, to recap again, the sequence numbers are used for:
1. IEBUDTE, which is used by SMP/E
2. editor
3. punched card sorter.

Anything else ?

BTW: Since SN's are important for SMP/E, they shouldn't be changed. So, they are rather part of content, not just editor numbers. <g>

Regards
--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland