On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 13:08:47 -0500, Tom Marchant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>>Symbolic links so that /usr/lpp/<product_name>/ can point into different
>>HFSs?
>
>I'm not sure what you hope to achieve with a symbolic link.  You can mount
>the HFS at /usr/lpp/<product_name>.

My understanding of this is  a bit shakey , but this is for the migration
process that exists at my shop.  Software upgrades are migrated from test
LPARs to development LPARs to production LPARs.  I think I would be
expected to maintain 3 HFSs for the product (for production and 2 levels
of mainteenance, I guess).  /usr/lpp/<product_name>/ would point into
one of the 3 HFSs; a different HFS for each type of LPAR.

That doesn't address the need to switch back and forth between 2
maintenance levels since the resolved path is tied to the LPAR, but
I guess I could dynamically change the value of the symbolic link if
I needed to drop back to the previous level.

This technique does not allow for execution of multiple levels of the
product on the same LPAR, but neither does anything using
/usr/lpp/<product_name>/.

Pat O'Keefe