>From the descriptions of STOW:

2.2.54 "z/OS V1R7.0 DFSMS Macro Instructions for Data Sets"

                clears, or resets to empty, a PDSE directory. The parameter
                list (list address) is not required for STOW initialize.
                This function works only with PDSEs and the data set must
                be allocated with DISP=OLD or DISP=MOD.

And:

2.2.54 "z/OS V1R8.0 DFSMS Macro Instructions for Data Sets"

                clears, or resets to empty, a PDS or PDSE directory. The
                parameter list (list address) is not required for STOW
                initialize. There are no serialization requirements for
                using STOW initialize. For PDSES, PDSE member connections
                will protect any application accessing a member concurrent
                to the issuance of STOW initialize. A member being read
                will be marked for deletion, but will not be deleted until
                after the connection is released.

Hmmm.  So they've added PDS support.  Very useful!  PDSCLEAR
is now a trivial operation.  And removed the serialization
requirements.

Am I right to be uncomfortable with the idea of clearing a PDS
directory while another job has it allocated SHR?  I suppose
the answer is that if I don't like it, I can request exclusive
access.  But maybe there's some code in the world that does a
"STOW dcb,,I" and simply relies on the operation to fail in
the unsafe cases.  And how will this play against ISPF PDS
directory serialization conventions?

(Will there be a "Clear Directory" command in DSLIST?)

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL