On 9 Aug 2006 16:11:41 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main (Message-ID:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

2.2.54 "z/OS V1R8.0 DFSMS Macro Instructions for Data Sets"

clears, or resets to empty, a PDS or PDSE directory. The parameter list (list address) is not required for STOW initialize. There are no serialization requirements for using STOW initialize. For PDSES, PDSE member connections will protect any application accessing a member concurrent to the issuance of STOW initialize. A member being read will be marked for deletion, but will not be deleted until
               after the connection is released.

Am I right to be uncomfortable with the idea of clearing a PDS
directory while another job has it allocated SHR?

You can do just about anything to a PDS, even now, with DISP=SHR, including deleting every member. So, allowing someone to clear one with DISP=SHR isn't that much bigger of an integrity exposure. (IMO, subject to change as I read and think more.)

I'd be more worried about the delayed reaction problem in a PDSE. Think how hard it might be to figure out who deleted a needed member when it actually happens three days (or weeks) later (when some STC comes down). And, what happens if you try to replace the member during that delay?

Since PDSEs do have built-in integrity protection, I'd rather see a bad return code and *no* members deleted (if any member is in use) than to never know when the operation will actually complete.

--
I cannot receive mail at the address this was sent from.
To reply directly, send to ar23hur "at" intergate "dot" com